Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Piano Teacher

I just finished reading this book called, The Piano Teacher.
This book was the one that I was able to finish in less than a day, which is pretty unusual for me. (;;;)

The cover looks very enticing, first I thought.

Then, when I opened and started to read, I was little intimidated by the author's broad vocabulary usage.

After, I slowly got used to her style of writing, the quiet classic prose, and enjoyed it somehow.

First of all, it was "very" readable.
But my face was always still while I was reading this.

None of her sentences made me cry or laugh. or overwhelmed.

It's quite weired, because I thought that I've got to enjoy reading this so much since it's so readable! Then I feel like I have nothing to talk about.

I would say.. the book was neither bad nor extraordinary good.. So just moderately good.. I guess..

The setting of this book was Hong Kong during the time periods of pre and post WWII.
This one I actually want to give the author a lot of credits, cause she was definitely sending me to Hong Kong across the ocean.
Densely populated territory, where it is packed with people and tall buildings.
And the party and social life of upper class that Claire, the piano teacher, got to experience.. was portrayed attractively enough to fascinate readers like me, who has been stuck at the mall for almost whole summer.

The theme seems nothing but a betrayal.

Claire is a married woman, who came to Hong Kong to teach Locket, who is a young daughter of the Chens(just the last name) family.
But she started to fall in love with Will, who is a British driver of Chens family.
Will was portrayed as a man who had indifference(pretty much..) about Claire..
But anyway.. they had a love affair..

Then, Claire got to discover the past love that Will had with Trudy, an Eurasian woman who is has an eminent and voluptuous beauty.

As Japan had invaded Hong Kong, Will got into interment camp and Trudy turned away from him and sold herself to Japanese.. in order to survive..

And that's just the basic plot..

There's this.. leery feeling left for this book.

The narrative and settings are good..
However.. the characters are so boring and normal that no curiosity could arouse to have wanting to engage with the characters..

Will.. the guy main character.. in this book.. who is supposed to make my smallest eyes very twinkle..
just made my eyes.. remain the way they are..
Considerate.. gentles.. sacrifice.. these are no where to be found.
He's just abrupt to Claire, like a sharpy pencil.

Overall.. it was just flat and clam..
but wasn't dried..

No comments:

Post a Comment