Friday, September 2, 2011

He didn't know

Feeling the brisk early autumn on my face and bare arms under short sleeves, I headed out to the USCIS with my mom and grandma, following uncle. My uncle gave me an opportunity to help him out with the English translation for his immigration card renewal.

The place we got off however, was the post office, the place nobody seemed to be looking for an immigration card but me, my eyes already scanning the inside in search of a person who we could ask.
A first "random" person we bumped into said that this is the place, for that purpose.

My uncle and I immediately got on the line and made sure to ask one more person. I tabbed the shoulder of the person who was standing in front of me. The old guy turned around. His pinky lips, full of life and volume, against his tropical tan skin was very hard to be unnoticed. It reminded me of Angelina Jolie's lips, therefore held my attention.
I started to pepper him with questions about the process.

Where his index finger pointing at across the line of people, "immigration passport accepted between 10am and 3pm" was written on the sign standing on the front desk.
He also advised us that we needed to wait for an hour, since at that moment, the watch was announcing 9am. My uncle and I were convinced by him that the post office was the right place that we were looking for.

Around 9:30am, my uncle's turn came and he marched up to the counter and asked me to ask the office person if this was the right place to do the process.
As soon as we heard no from him, as if being betrayed, we turned our head and snapped our eyes back towards him, who was standing few steps behind us, already shrugging and saying "Oh, I didn't know."
Then why did he act or pretend like he knew? That... I don't know, either.

Better or not, we soon found the right USCIS place, only a block away from the post office, very pure white building, like a bashful bride. 

While our house ladies were waiting for my uncle to take care of his business, my mom and I saw the little girl with a blond hair and cherry lips sitting and doing exactly same things as my family. She turned her head to look at us. Suddenly, one idea pleased me. 
So when she turned around, my mom and I made a finger heart in the air, shoot her a cupid arrow with a ridiculous, no-age-appropriate pose!

No comments:

Post a Comment