Friday, May 27, 2011

Local News: David Sylvester's Travel Lessons


David Sylvester, a personal trainer who works at The Union League, located at 140 S. Broad St., just released his first book called Traveling at the Speed of Life. When I first encountered him, he was high-fiving and hugging acquaintances, which indicated his outgoing personality.
Despite his muscular arms and such high energy, no one would have imaged that David Sylvester bore a deep sorrow inside of him. After his friend was killed in Sept. 11, he wanted to memorialize his friend and raise money for a charity. Then, he took his bicycle onto the road and started traveling around the world from Istanbul, Turkey to Beijing, China.

When asked of his writing experience, he said, “It was relieving. It depends on the memory you have and you get to start remember the habits he[friend] had. Writing makes you hold onto those things and makes you search for right words.”
Sylvester said that his article called Across continent, rider delivers message of will, passion hit two million readers, as he handed me a stapled copy. Since 2002, he stopped different places each week.
“If I didn’t push my boundary, I wouldn’t have met those people. I didn’t think this was possible 10 years ago, but I’ve done it,” he said.

According to his article, when he stopped by Egypt, he was surprised to see the human capacity to build the pyramid. In Bahir Dar, Ethiopia, he learned hospitality is always a good thing. In Xian, China, he found that there really are no language barriers.
He appreciated all these empowering feeling and confidence he learned throughout his travels.
“I think every individual should be impressed by themselves, because the better you are, the better you want to become,” he said. “The only thing that can stop me is me,” he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment